Our January 1st to-do list is sometimes only an ideal – like a fad or a fashion statement. The perfect model catwalks but later becomes off-balanced and loses her track even before the month ends.LanceLonie, Editorial Note ( 2 of 7 ) : New Year’s Resolution A Musical Instrument
Lancelonie said: We have come to a point where pronouncing or showing off our resolutions seems enough. Enough to Pinterest or share with our little social-media-based word. Enough to just say, “my new year resolution” with hashtags, #newyear and #selfie, on our Facebook, Instagram and other profiles. Whether it catches on like a craze or totally disappears like a failed trend, it is irrelevant.
We are in a world where sharing our new year resolutions seems enough for Pinterest and other social media. Just as long as we hashtag those with #newyear and #selfie on Facebook, Instagram and other profiles, it doesn’t matter if those go viral or not.LanceLonie, Editorial Note ( 3 of 7 ) : New Year’s Resolution A Musical Instrument
Lancelonie said: A New Year’s resolution is much like learning a musical instrument. There is a period of initial zeal and excitement as it is a personal challenge.
A New Year’s resolution is much like learning a musical instrument. There is a period of initial zeal and excitement as it is a personal challenge.LanceLonie, Editorial Note ( 4 of 7 ) : New Year’s Resolution A Musical Instrument
Lancelonie said: A moment comes when you realize how difficult it is to follow every note. You decide whether to continue or not – to keep that musical instrument close to your heart or retire it to some nameless corner.
A moment comes when you realize how difficult it is to follow every note. You decide whether to continue or not – to keep that musical instrument close to your heart or retire it to some nameless corner.LanceLonie, Editorial Note ( 5 of 7 ) : New Year’s Resolution A Musical Instrument
Lancelonie said: Mastering your musical instrument is like pursuing your new year’s resolution. The result is life changing.
Mastering your musical instrument is like pursuing your new year’s resolution. The result is life changing.LanceLonie, Editorial Note ( 6 of 7 ) : New Year’s Resolution A Musical Instrument
You should make your New Year’s resolution happen this year instead of procrastinating. How about if we examine its funny lifespan…
A New Year’s resolution seems to have a lifespan of its own. Just like fire, it begins with a spark then it burns and later dies out. There’s always a start and a finish line. But would it be nice if you could reach the end that is actually your goal?
Let’s take a look at this funny thing we hashtag –
- On or before January 1st, you declare your New Year’s resolution.
Okay, I’ll exercise to lose 20 pounds. I have 3 jeans I’d like to fit into.
- Mid-month, you work towards achieving your goal.
I’m going to wake up early on weekends so I can run a mile or so.
- Third week, your excitement wanes down a bit.
That trail seems steep and it’s killing my legs.
- By the end of the month, you push your plans for next year.
Hey, I lost 2 pounds already. I’m all good for now… This calls for a cheesecake celebration.
Grow up, kid!
My mother, I remember, had a term for this in Tagalog – “sawsaw-patis” (sao, as in Sao Palo + pa-tease, with an accent on each 2nd syllable). She always called me that roll eyes 🙄 when I was a kid because I made some eager start-ups that never finished – piano 🎹 lessons at level IV, karate classes for 1-2 days only, stenography lessons halfway through the book, Spanish with molded dog ears, etc…
But “I’m a kid” just like what mySophia 👧🏻 would say; and my mom was extremely busy enough to tell me sternly, “I’m your mom who’s telling you to finish that” as I would now to my daughter. She’s pretty consistent. Ha.
But as an adult, what’s your excuse? ⁉️
- Have you signed up to a gym but never went?
- I have several paid hip-hop sessions I never claimed, for crying out loud.
- Do you have online photo-sharing, social profiles and blogs that you sometimes forget to update?
- Mine is like our main bathroom light 💡 switch – always on and off. LOL.
Consistency is key.
“Consistency is key.”🔑 Now, who said this? Do I need to quote anyone?
Do you sometimes feel that being consistent is boring since it somehow lack variations? It’s like eating rainbow-colored 🌈 gummy bears with only one flavor. Yes?.. But hey, I know you get the idea so I’ll gummy-bear with you…
Rewire the brain 🧠 this year.
Oh, yeah!!! That’s probably be the best resolution for me. 🙌🏼
Do you have a NY resolution?
How are you doing?
Instead of saying there’s always next year, make it [your New Year’s resolution] happen this year!LanceLonie, Editorial Note ( 7 of 7 ) : New Year’s Resolution A Musical Instrument
Nina Simone’s Feeling Good song is a perfect message, not just for the new year but also for every single new day. Wake up to a new dawn, a new day, a new life everyday. Here are a few feel-good reminders…
My heart is singing to this tune, Feeling Good sung by Nina Simone…
Birds flying high,Leslie Bricusse and Anthony Newley, Feeling Good
You know how I feel;
Sun in the sky,
You know how I feel;
Breeze driftin’ on by,
You know how I feel.
It’s a new dawn;
It’s a new day;
It’s a new life
And I’m feeling good.
Kudos to Bricusse and Newley for producing a well-written song – perfect for this year! Shall we take this message to heart as we journey (together) all throughout this year?
Channel your spirits to being positive and feeling good.
That’s easy to say and a little hard to do… But pause… Think about your family, those who rely upon you or that one person who looks up to you like a hero… How about those people who -or- things that give you inspiration? Think of them / those . . . and then focus on your goal.
Here are a few things to do in order to shake bad things off your system and come back to good life…
Your 19 feel-good checklist:
- Dress up nicely. To make sure you come out of your bedroom all nicely groomed and prepped up, prepare your outfit the night before. Leisurely gather all your pieces together and try those on, if you haven’t yet, in front of a mirror. Remember the hashtag: #youlookgoodyoufeelgood.
- Write down all your good qualities. I have carvings that say Smile and #beautiful as well as framed messages. It sure is nice to see them on different parts of my home. Isn’t it great to read and be reminded of your own good qualities? #imgood
- Write down your weaknesses. You’re not perfect. No one is (not even the self-proclaimed narcissist). Graciously accept that you’re not and move on to doing other things that you are good at. #itsokay
- Recognize your uniqueness. Seeing both your good and weak side, remember that those are what make you unique. Those are what make you one of a kind – in other words, #beautiful.
- Remember that life is not perfect. If you’re not perfect then so is life. Every soul has his or her own share of disappointment, including the most successful or happiest person. But the latter and so are you know how to #keepitup!
- Let life be your bestie. How do you treat your best friend? It’s a love-and-hate relationship, isn’t it? Love – because that person in your life is who you share your life with. Hate – because of familiarity, you’re comfortable to say the nastiest words and vent out your feelings easily. But in the end, you talk about what time you’re lunching tomorrow… In the same sense, vent out and move on. #bestfriendswithlife
- Be content with what you have. Don’t be obsessive ’cause you can’t have them all. Remember no. 3? Just accept what you have and make peace with what you can’t have in life. #canlivewithout
- Watch your thoughts. It’s what you think that comes out of your mouth and what you say is oftentimes what you do. If you think losing 10 pound is good for you, then you’ll most likely talk about it and you’ll eventually exercise. #positivethinking
- Find your strength. For physical strength, exercise and build/rebuild some muscles. (I transfer my heavy porcelain plates in groups from my dishwasher up to the cupboard… What?) I mean, get used to carrying some weights. That should be the same thing for emotional strength, on a non-literal sense. For one, being able to get up in the morning is a start. #innerpower
- Face your fear. Everyone dreads something. (Or, don’t pretend you don’t have one or two.) It’s okay to be afraid of something. Sometimes, that’s what puts you to safety – like, scared to drink then drive. But talk about bold moves to get to your goal, your destination. (I’m not talking about Big Bear here!) There are people who faced their scariest life challenges and came out successful. Do the same. #fearless
- Keep going. Whatever it is that come your way – whether good or bad – keep moving forward… When I was still at the planning stage of this website, I listened (and still am listening) to podcasts and audiobooks everyday to keep my momentum up. I also keep my Pinterest up for visual inspiration. If not, I probably would have abandoned my goal. #followyourdreams
- Take control of your own life. You are the pilot of your own ship. Empower yourself and take control. Steer yourself away from negative vibes and into the path towards fulfilling your goal. #getthere
- Trust yourself. Forget Johari window for a minute. Sometimes, the best person who knows you is yourself. So, believe in yourself (unless you’re doing the opposite of what we’ve been talking about). Believe that you can do things. If you can’t, find a solution or a better alternative. #youcandoit
- Be confident. Walk with your head up high. There is nothing to be looking-down-on except if your shoe laces are untied (or there’s a big crack on your track). Seriously, smile and chip up. With all the good things you started from no. 1, there’s nothing to worry about . . . except if you feel broccoli stuck between your teeth. LOL. No, seriously. Let me repeat – #beconfident.
- Design your life. Have you heard of lifestyle design? It’s a great concept. In order to bring more value to your life, you create your own lifestyle. For instance, if you like dancing then go find an dance studio. If you like to work at home, then research on how you can do that. #blog
- Do good things. Have you heard of that commercial about random act of kindness? That’s another cool concept, too. Well, try it yourself and see how you feel afterwards. #randomactofkindness
- Don’t take things personally. Sometimes, life is a joke and the people around you makes it feel like it, too. Chances are you are just being overly sensitive so stop it! Take it easy on yourself. #livelaugh
- Love yourself. …is the greatest love of all.🎶 Period. #loveyourself
- Make a thank you list. Seeing a list of things to be thankful for – just like writing down your good qualities on no. 2 above – should cause you to realize your worth. Your life has good value. Your life is important (more than that harmless daddy long-legs my hubby spared last night). #thankyounext
New Year’s Day is a good start . . . however, you don’t really have to wait for the end-of-year to improve your life. Each day is always a good new day to start over even if you have to do it again and again . . . and again.
I always liked those moments of epiphany, when you have the next destination. Brad Pitt quote | I Call Her Mnimi | http://www.AboutMnimi.com
Feeling Good by Nina Simone is a perfect feel-good song for the new year… Birds flying high, you know how I feel… It’s a new dawn. It’s a new day. It’s a new life. And I’m feeling good! | Nina Simone song
I Call Her Mnimi | http://www.AboutMnimi.com
Feeling Good – Birds flying high, you know how I feel… It’s a new dawn. It’s a new day. It’s a new life. And I’m feeling good!Nina Simone, Feeling Good by Leslie Bricusse and Anthony Newley
The new year stands before us like a chapter in a book – waiting to be written. We can help write that story by setting goals. Melody Beattie quote – I call her Mnimi – AboutMnimi.com
Officially starting the new year with an Edith Lovejoy Pierce quote, your opportunity book has blank pages for you to fill in. Yes, opportunities are there waiting for you to take. Anything you may have done wrongly in the past is a lesson. Today and going forward, you will get better!
Happy New Year 🎊, friends!!! I just can’t wait for the end of this write-up to say that.
I am also “officially” starting my year 2020 today with a quote by Edith Lovejoy Pierce below. It’s for you, too . . . as that is just perfect for day one of “our” 365 journey (together?). 😁
We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year’s Day.Edith Lovejoy Pierce quote | I Call Her Mnimi | AboutMnimi.com
The blank pages represent all the opportunities that you are yet to take – to start over and make things a whole lot better – this year. You may have done some stupid things in the past and that’s alright. It is done and gone. It’s your lesson and hopefully, you learned. Today and going forward, you’ll make up for those . . . and you will get better!
For the obsessive-compulsive, like me, I mark today, January 1st, 2020, as that day. 👊 Haha.
Speaking of the new year, I would have loved to start it by going to the 2020 Tournament of Roses Parade but I let myself stuck on this blog instead, which I love, too!
Tournament of Roses Parade
For those of you who don’t know what 🌹Rose Parade is, it’s the annual parade of marching bands, equestrians and fabulous floats covered with fresh roses and other flowers 💐. It is a tradition during New Year’s Day in Southern California (unless it falls on a Sunday, then it will be moved on January 2nd).
Every year, in Pasadena, California, this flower-filled event follows a theme. Today is about The Melody of Life and I can only imagine flowery musical floats. We’ll check out the actuals later on…
If you have already executed your first-of-the-year plan today, good for you! For the Rose Parade fans who have settled on your best viewing spots, high five!✋🏽 But for those of you who were not able to purchase tickets, you can see the after-parade showcase for a fraction of the cost.💵
Also, if you are like me who is always on the look-out for some local events, below is a list for January, February and March that you can put on your calendars in advance. Cheers! 🥂